In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Tuesday 24 December 2013

Day 9 - Grave News

Windswept?

I suppose I should start with an apology for the title...although, you know...there's a grave there, and you probably haven't seen it before - it's news to you!   Whoever you are...

Hmm that's a point, who the fuck are you, and why are you spying on my blog?!

I feel all invaded and whatnot...but anyway, on to the business of the day!

Today was a wild and stormy day across the land.  I, however, was at work, doing a long shift as Duty Manager.  Not that there was much work going on today, it being 23rd of December and all.   But I was there pretty much all day...paying for my sins, I guess.

Because it was blowing up a bit outside, and the news websites were full of the usual "Britain Battens Down the Hatches Against a Devastating Bit of a Stiff Breeze!" headlines, I thought I'd wander out at lunchtime and see if I could get a good representative photo.

Have you spotted the flaw in my plan yet?

Anyone?

Well, it turns out that wind isn't very photogenic.  Who knew??  And why didn't they tell me?!

It seems that buildings, that make so much noise and fuss when it's very windy, actually just sit there motionless pretty much all the time.  

And trees, which wave their arms around like those big wavy blow up things the Americans are so fond of, as though it's all a big drama, just pause for a split second every time you take a photo.   It's weird, you don't even notice it at the time, but in every picture they're just standing stock still, utterly motionless...how do they do it?!  Spooky!

Kinda fitting for a graveyard, I suppose.

The other day I mentioned that I might start a regular "Today I Learned" slot.  And then I promptly forgot all about it.  

But then I remembered again!  Yay!

So, Today I Learned: 

Nobody helps when you try to photograph the wind.

Remember that - it might save you some time one day.  

3 comments:

  1. How about purposely bodging the camera as you take the shot to create the desired blurred hurricane effect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I should have thought of that! To be honest, that happens a lot of the time anyway cos I'm just generally cack-handed with cameras...I really missed a trick there, didn't I? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, had you done that, the humour of this post would of been lost.

    As Gil Grissom said in CSI: "Two roads diverged in a wood, sorry I could not travel both" - I can't remember what the character was quoting from but, I feel it's appropriate here.

    Also... if you had done a vid capture of about 10 seconds, you might of been able to create a low res .gif image :P

    ReplyDelete