In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Thursday 6 November 2014

Day 327 - End of an Era

clear desk

So, after 12 years where I currently work, tomorrow is my last day...to call it the end of an era is an obvious exaggeration, but it does kinda feel a bit like that to me, at least.

I suppose any major life change is a little unsettling, and this is no exception.

This afternoon, as I was clearing out files, handing over equipment, and generally closing down my accounts, I suddenly noticed how clear my desk was.  Don't get me wrong, there's a clear desk policy, and this is a hot desk (as you can see)...so this isn't really that uncommon these days.

However, I've only been hot-desking for 3 weeks or so, and I'm used to a slightly cluttered, lived-in look to my desk.

So seeing my desk so clear this afternoon seemed symbolic...I've de-cluttered to the point of anonymised non-existence.

Interesting to note, though, that even at this late stage, I still have 3 screens of work going on - email, calendar, Service Management tool, operational dashboard, and a browser...and a cup of coffee, natch!

I'm very much looking forward to new challenges and adventures ahead, but at the same time I'm sad to be moving on.  I'm fond of my teams and my colleagues, and naturally, some part of me will feel the wrench of leaving...

But the time has come (the walrus said), and I have only one more day to say my goodbyes, tick any outstanding boxes, cross any t's and dot any lower case j's, and tie up any loose ends...any that I'm not happy leaving un-tied anyway.

I'd best get on with it, then...

(Only) once more unto the breach!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment